With over 20 years experience, McCullough makes certain that motor vehicle shipping to New Zealand, or specifically importing cars to NZ is as simple for you as 1-2-3.
We’ve been delivering this precise service every single day for over 20 years to people with similar needs to your own. AND we guarantee personalised and continuous at a level that other clearing agents balk at. Get your free quote now. It’s that simple.
6 Questions you need to answer.
- Are you a private individual?
Part of an international rally or car club?
To find out how we’ll quickly and efficiently ship and clear your motor vehicle for you, simply type your relevant information into the form to the right, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone us on +64 9 303 0075.
- Does your tourist vehicle qualify for free or paid entry into New Zealand?
You can import your motor vehicle into New Zealand without payment of Customs charges provided you intend to leave New Zealand with your vehicle at the end of your trip.
You require a carnet de passage en douane (CPD) (download CPD form here) issued by AIT/FIA affiliated member clubs (such as the Automobile Association).
A CPD is normally granted for a maximum of 12 months. In exceptional circumstances, Customs may allow a once-only extension, provided you request this extension at least 4 weeks in advance from the issuing office in your country of origin.
Without a CPD (download CPD form here) you’re required to pay a temporary import – a cash deposit/bond to cover the full Customs charges. The deposit/bond will be refunded provided your motor vehicle is exported within a specified time frame.
A temporary import entry is normally granted for a maximum of 12 months. In exceptional circumstances, Customs may allow a once-only extension, provided you request this extension before the original expiry date
To find out how we’ll quickly and efficiently ship and clear your motor vehicle for you, simply type your relevantinformation into this form, email email@example.com, or phone us on +64 9 303 0075.
- Do you have to pay Customs charges on your motor vehicle?
To qualify for a FREE concessionary import, the following conditions must be met in full:
- You have arrived in New Zealand and on arrival hold a document authorising permanent residence in New Zealand.
- For the whole of the period of 21 months preceding your arrival, you have resided outside or have been domiciled outside New Zealand. Brief holidays or exploratory visits do not exclude you from qualifying for this concession.
- You fit with the Period of Ownership and Actual Use.
- Your motor vehicle is being imported for your own personal use and not for sale, gift or disposal in any other way.
- You give a concession reference 80 undertaking.
If the above conditions are NOT met in full, your motor vehicle is considered a non-concessionary import and Customs charges will be payable.
These conditions are strictly applied and the New Zealand Customs Service has no discretionary license to adapt them to suit your particular circumstances.
- Do you have to pay New Zealand’s Goods and Services Tax (GST) on your motor vehicle?
Yes (on all permanent cars). GST is chargeable on all motor vehicles imported into New Zealand and includes:
- All transactions made offshore.
- When the purchase price already incorporates a local value-added or sales tax component.
Calculate GST by: (purchase price +duty (if any) + international freight + insurance) * 15%.
Legal: The Customs value of privately imported new or used motor vehicles is determined in accordance with the provisions of the Second Schedule of the Customs and Excise Act 1996. In normal circumstances, the Customs value is determined as the price paid or payable overseas for the vehicle (which includes vehicle registration fees and insurance costs paid to the retailer) by the importer, less:
- Any overseas duties or taxes included in the price paid which have been rebated or refunded before the vehicle arrives into New Zealand
- An allowance for depreciation if the vehicle has been personally owned and used by the importer overseas for not less than 90 days prior to the arrival of the vehicle into New Zealand.
Period of ownership and use overseasDepreciation
Less than 90 days 0 3 months or more, but less than 4 months 13 4 months or more, but less than 6 months 20 6 months or more, but less than 9 months 27.5 9 months or more, but less than 1 year 35 1 year or more, but less than 2 years 50 2 years or more, but less than 3 years 60 3 years or more, but less than 4 years 70 4 years or more 75
To find out more about GST charges, simply type your relevant information into this form, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone us on 09 303 0075.
- What will MAF be looking for with my Motor Vehicle?
All vehicles must be clean inside and out.
MAF will be looking for dirt, mud, leaves and seeds in and on the vehicle. Pay particular attention to:
- The engine bay and grills for leaves.
- The boot and spare tyre well for dirt and plant material.
- Underneath on the wheel arches for dirt and mud.
- Will the ‘McCullough advantage’ save me money and stress?
Yes! It’s really that simple.
We’ve already achieved 20 years of experience and no one ships, Customs and MAF clears more cars in NZ than us.
We guarantee continuous and personalised service. Always.
We’re situated 5 minutes from the Auckland Port so we can be there at 7am to assist with any early morning enquiries from the transporters and/or tally clerks on the wharf.
Our high volumes and our strong relationships that we can give our clients many privileged options on freight, cartage, cleaning and price.
We’ll hunt down the BEST sea vs air freight rates for you.
We’re not affiliated to any one shipping line. What this means to you is that we will obtain the best rates and options to move your cargo for you.
Our long-established relationships mean that we can air freight your cargo anywhere in the world, no problem (that includes the hard stuff like race cars and new vehicles).
We work throughout all New Zealand ports and all main international ports
We’ve access to 50,000 square feet of secure warehousing.
We truly believe in continually building and maintaining industry relationships so we regularly visit all of our ports and people(suppliers/overseas agents etc) to:
- Better understand the issues which face the people we work with
- Consistently seek solutions to improve documentation, shipping and delivery of vehicles.
“Amazing. McCullough’s completely took charge and got all the paperwork and other requirements arranged and delivered. They rang me with regular updates. My Audi RS 5 Coupe arrived in perfect condition. I don’t believe that any other shipping company could touch McCullough’s level of personal service, standards and results.”
Max F – Mar 2011