For all your international shipping questions

Shipping to New Zealand or shipping from New Zealand can be a complicated process, especially if you’ve never done it before. It can seem like a stressful minefield riddled with potential delays and sky rocketing costs. You need the right people on your side doing the right job for you. That’s why we’ve created a super simple 1-2-3 step process so you know exactly what to expect – with no hassles or hidden costs. Test us out.

In most circumstances only an approved carriers can enter the port to pick up your vehicle. If your vehicle is oversized e.g. bus or truck security passes can be arranged for you to pickup.
We can ship all sorts of trailers. All you need to do is provide us with full dimensions including length, width and height – including the draw bar.
Normally a ship or port crane will be used.
If you are an immigrant, or are returning to New Zealand after 21 months or more overseas, you are entitled to concessions on private motor vehicles, boats and aircraft that either accompany you or are sent separately. It is possible to import more than one motor vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, boat, or aircraft, duty free, if you are able to meet all the concessionary requirements for each vehicle, boat or aircraft. To show that all conditions have been met you will require full documentary evidence. If you do not qualify for concessionary entry, private motor vehicles and aircraft will attract GST only, but boats, camper vans and motor homes will attract tariff duties as well as GST when they are brought in.
Information is online at the New Zealand Transport website –
Incoterms or International Commercial terms are a series of pre-defined commercial terms published by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) widely used in international commercial transactions. A series of three-letter trade terms related to common sales practices, Incoterms are intended primarily to clearly communicate the tasks, costs and risks associated with the transportation and delivery of goods
1. Protection – once your vehicle is loaded into the container, it cannot be accessed until it is unpacked. This prevents any threat or damage or theft. 2. Flexibility – containerised vehicles load from most major international ports. 3. Inner Cargo – your vehicle can have inner cargo inside (vs none for RORO). 4. Choice – you can consolidate your vehicle (e.g. 1 vehicle with caravan in 40ft container) where possible, ensuring you get the best possible shipping rate.
Many new bikes come already crated in steel or wood crates. We can arrange MAF approved wooden crates for motorbikes or ship loose in a container or on a pallet RORO. If you are using a wooden crates it must be MAF approved ISPM15 timber
By law you are required to declare all items and values to Customs or us. If you are unsure about taxes and duties or anything please let us know prior to shipping.
MAF will be looking for any foreign animals, insects, mud, dirt, food or plant material. If any of the above are found they may be cleaned, confiscated or destroyed at your cost. It is essential that all items imported are declared and are as clean as possible.
The carnet is an international Customs document. It is designed to make the temporary importation of goods into other countries much easier. It is a guarantee that the goods you are taking into that country will eventually be taken out again and returned to their country of origin. The same document set is used at both ports of departure and ports of arrival. It contains a set of detachable import/export vouchers to be completed by Customs at each port. The ATA carnet has a validity of 12 months commencing from the date of issue.
You give a concession reference 80 undertaking. This means you give a written undertaking that if the motor vehicle is sold or otherwise disposed of within two years from the date of importation, you will make payment of the Customs charges that would normally have been payable.
It’s a document authorising residency in NZ and can mean any of the following: A current New Zealand passport. A current Australian passport. A current New Zealand residence visa or permit or a New Zealand current returning resident’s visa or permit. A current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia. A current New Zealand work visa or work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months. A current New Zealand work visa or work permit issued under the Work to Residency (Skilled Migrant Category) policy or the Long Term Business Visa/Permit category. A current New Zealand visitor’s visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of three years.
Full container load all the way from origin to destination.
Less than container load – so it is a consolidated load.
Under certain circumstances an extension maybe granted to the 12 months temporary import.
A vehicle will not qualify for concessionary entry if the owner surrenders it for shipping to New Zealand before 12 whole months have passed since original delivery was taken; or the owner leaves for New Zealand without having used the vehicle for a minimum of one yea e.g. if you purchase and take delivery of a vehicle on 10 June, you must not hand it over to be shipped before 10 June of the following year; and you must not leave for New Zealand before that date. Lifestyle and work requirements may dictate that the owner is not in a position to use the vehicle on a daily basis. This will not necessarily disqualify a vehicle from concessionary entry if you can satisfy Customs that the vehicle in question was available for use whenever it was needed. The key element is that the periods of actual use, if not continuous, should span a full 12 months.
A record of the condition of the vehicle noting any damage, scratching, presence of a stereo – including digital photos. Used for any shipping or insurance claims.
If you import non-consumable goods that will be re-exported within 12 months, you may qualify to bring the goods in using a Temporary Import Entry. This means that you may not be liable for import duties and/or Goods and Services Tax (GST) – although you may be required to provide some form of security e.g. a cash deposit, while the goods are still in the country. This security will be fully refunded if the goods are re-exported within 12 months from the date you brought them in. In lieu of security, New Zealand accepts the ATA carnet, to cover certain goods such as commercial samples, professional equipment, and goods for use or display at an exhibition.
Packaged but non-containerized cargo. Loose cement, grains, ores, etc are termed bulk cargo, whereas cargo shipped as a unit (bags, bales, barrels, boxes, cartons, drums, pallets, sacks, vehicles, etc.) is termed break bulk.
This timber that has been treated to a MAF international standard. On importation a packing declaration must be presented – filled out by the packer at origin.
Containerised cargo ship which is loaded and offloaded by a port’s cranes and derricks.
Ships designed to carry rolling-stock cargo e.g. motor vehicles which does not require cranes to be loaded or off-loaded but is driven on and off the ship’s decks.
1. Purchase Invoice 2. Bill of Lading 3. Full details of shipper, consignee and vehicle (make, model, year and chassis number)
In most cases it is more cost-effective (cheaper) to ship your vehicle via RORO vs containerised.
1. Pick up at origin and packing 2. Shipping 3. Delivery to your door

Shipping a vehicle?

Get a free quote

Unlock your dream now …

Copyright © 2024 McCullough Ltd | Terms & Conditions

Website crafted by bocapa